1930 – 1949

By Micky Garner and Brian Butchers


1930 saw the retirement from cricket of Harry Rapley, after such a long and happy career at Beddington, the choice of captain fell on P L G Winter, with T P Rothwell continuing in charge of the second XI. The club by now had acquired a long lease of the grounds, the preliminary arrangements which had been under discussion for a year or two regarding the erection of a suitable pavilion, were pressed forward, and every possible device was employed to raise the necessary funds, it is obvious that very special efforts on the part of the members would be called for. Meanwhile cricket proceeded as usual, and the season finished with a total of 11 wins, 9 defeats, and 7 drawn games. Adams, Reay, and Bulfield shared the bowling, while Gilly Reay with six innings of over 50, and R E Johnson four innings over 50 and a final 99 runs, contributed to most of the batting. Stanley Johnson played a fine innings of 115 n.o. against Mitcham, a total of 174 for eight wickets. In a match against Battersea, who were all out for 39 runs, Gilly Reay captured eight wickets for 14 runs, and then hit up 68 runs in the Beddington innings of 152 runs. This year Robert Henderson died at his home in Wallington, age 65 years. He was buried in the family grave at Beddington St Mary’s.


The year 1931 may be described as a milestone in the History of the Beddington Club, and during the course of the summer the final work on the new pavilion was completed. On the 12th September 1931, Ian Mason, who was then the 1st XI captain, handed a specially made key to Mrs Mallinson, the wife of the president, who formally opened the building. The day was not one of the best, from a cricket point of view, but members were very pleased to be possession of their new home. Great credit is due to all who gave their assistance in one way or another, and especially to those intimately concerned in the undertaking, J S Taylor, P L Winter, H B Worthington and H G Manly. Also to be mentioned, in addition to donations from individual members, the generous sums of money received from Carshalton Football Club and the Wallington Hockey Club.
As a matter of interest and to place it on record, the total cost of the Pavilion, including the construction of the roadway and provision of water and gas supplies, was in the region of £1,600, and this all paid by donations, as well as the Beddington Club funds. It was unfortunate that the erection of this new pavilion necessitated the demolition of that famous Lesser Thatched Pavilion, which had been our home for 57 years, and for sentimental reasons, old members and opponents who had been visitors for many years, regretted its passing. The sparrows on the oak beams during lunch were also displeased with the situation, especially on whole day matches. However, the old tea shed at the Hackbridge entrance to the ground could now be abandoned and cricket, as well as the social side could be carried on under much more favourable conditions. Ian Mason was now in charge of the first eleven, and T P Rothwell was firmly installed as 2nd XI captain after three years. (Bullfield’s history places the building of the Lesser Thatched Pavilion as 1874.)

1931 pavillion
Beddington second pavilion, built in 1931 and destroyed by fire in January 1967. The dog’s name was ‘Ruff Luff’

The 1931 season was generally wet, causing low scores, and some remarkable bowling feats, and two performances are worth mentioning. Beddington v Purley, Adam’s analysis read: 12overs, nine maidens, six runs and seven wickets. In a match against Eltham who were bowled out for 29runs, Gilly Reay secured six wickets for seven runs, with three more batsmen being run out. In the first innings Beddington had scored 272 with Birkett scoring 139 runs, this was the last fixture with Eltham. The most noticeable feature of the season was the number of close finishes. Beddington beat Old Whitgiftians by two runs, and lost the next match with Spencer also by two runs. Streatham later beat Beddington by one run, and the following week, Forest Hill were also defeated by one run.
In this year Beddington Club were honoured by the election of the former skipper, C Potter-Irwin to the position of president of the Club Cricket Conference. Potter-Irwin had a strong personality which undoubtedly made him an ideal captain. He was better known in the world of sport as one of the leading English rugby referees taking charge of many important fixtures. Two other very welcome new members about this time were the brothers H T and S Seal, who remained with the club until 1940, when they both moved to distant parts of the country. H T Seal was an especially fine all-rounder while his brother kept wicket for the second XI, ‘The Baron’, J K Gass – a typical Victorian gentleman – came into the club and contributed much towards the cricket and executive work, while his wife Vera fed the teams with sandwiches, cakes and tea for many years.



In 1932 Beddington again under the captaincy of Ian Mason, the season was more successful. Adams, Reay, Johnson, and Bulfield shared the bowling equally, while Birkett, Johnson, Hedley, and Winter were the mainstay in batting. In the MCC game during the “week” Bulfield scored 106 runs out of a total of 176 runs for Beddington but a heavy defeat resulted as the MCC had run up a total of 274 runs. In the Beddington side D Birkett who had joined the club in 1929 was always a reliable forcing bat as well as a useful change bowler while his fielding was superb.
At the close of the season Ian Mason retired from cricket, after a long and distinguished career since 1913, as first XI wicketkeeper since about 1921. The game against Cyphers this season ended with honours even.

On Christmas Eve 1932 Colin Cowdrey (Kent and England) was born in India. The Cowdreys were a sporting family who lived in a house at Sanderstead. They had a field at the end of the garden, where the family would challenge all comers to a game of cricket, it was from this field that his father graduated to the Beddington Cricket Club, then the Surrey 2nd XI, and then minor county cricket with Berkshire. When he did not make the grade as a professional he stomped off to India and buried himself in a tea plantation, although the Cricket Archive records him as playing First Class games in India. He only returned to Beddington to marry the girl he had met there years earlier who was working at the Beddington Club and returned to India where Michael Colin Cowdrey was born on Christmas Eve 1932.



striped jackets
Beddington 1st IX – 1933

J W Burbridge (Umpire), D H Plummer, R E Johnson, H T Seal, R W Bulfield, H B Worthington (Hon Sec)
J K Gass, I N Mason, P L G Winter (Capt), G M Reay, R R Firminger

D Birket, F A Wright, W Kippen


The new captain in 1933 was P L G Winter and it was clear that S H Cooper, who had been keeping wicket for the second XI, should succeed Mason behind the stumps for the 1st XI. Maintaining the high standard first set by George Windsor, and followed by Mason, was no light task, but Cooper soon showed himself fully equal to it. As time went on, his work put him far above the ordinary club standard, and it was a pleasure to the club, when his abilities were recognised by the Oval authorities. In his appearances in the County side, he kept the same degree of skill and ease. As a batsman he improved year on year and still had many good years before him. R E Johnson, who joined in 1926, was in great form, giving great assistance with his bowling and batting. The season’s results were satisfactory, with 11 victories, five defeats, but no fewer than 14 games were drawn, or “rained off “.


The following season of 1934, with P L G Winter as captain, was not so successful, and of the games not stopped by rain, eight were won, seven were drawn, but 11 were lost. Cooper, Hancock, Winter, Gass, Birkett and Seal were the most consistent batsmen, while G Reay took most of the wickets, 62 in all, followed by Adams with 57 wickets. B Rolfe also bowled well with 51 wickets. The outstanding feature of the season was the first wicket partnership against the Stoics, during the “week”, when 214 runs were scored, with P Winter claiming 106 runs and Clive Kippen 105 runs, and at this time was taken to be a club record. The innings was declared at 249 for two wickets, but the Stoics Club very nearly gained a victory making a splendid response of 235 runs. In a match against Kenley, there were more high scores, Beddington scoring 306 runs for 4 wickets, Hancock 86, Birkett 84, and Winter 78. Kenley were dismissed for 231 runs.
The following weekend Streatham CC totalled 186 runs, Beddington equalled that score with the last ball of the day, with the last pair of batsmen at the wicket, honours even. A curious feature of this season was that despite the many high scores for and against not one century was made by a Beddington batsman, or by any of our opponents, the exception being the first wicket partnership of P Winter (106) and C Kippen (105) against Stoics.


Once again Gilly Reay assumed the position as captain of the 1st XI, while K A Oswald succeeded T P Rothwell as captain of the second team. Oswald a good opening batsman made an excellent captain of the second team and introduced into the team just the right amount of discipline, very necessary for the successful running of a club. The results this season were highly satisfactory, with 12 victories, six defeats and eleven drawn games. A fine summer led to good wickets, and prolific scoring. Strangely enough in this season’s game with Stoics, once again a big first wicket partnership of 203 runs was made by P Winter (106) and J Creasy (88) and the innings was closed at 237 for one wicket. On this occasion however, Stoics replied with only 53 runs. The murmurs by certain members about “rabbits” was not strictly true, unfortunately a regular occurrence in any club situation, the critics always know better.
Congratulations to P Winter on his personnel performances, not only in respect of these two innings, but the many other big scores he had made in his long association with the club. Another match worthy of mention was against Catford, when Beddington scored 301 of which S Cooper claimed 121 runs and R E Johnson 50 runs. Catford finished with 163 for seven wickets, after eight of the Beddington players had taken a turn with the ball. Against the MCC during the cricket “week”, Beddington had disposed of eight of the opponents for 121 runs at lunchtime, and went to the pavilion feeling quite happy. After lunch however, some remarkable batting was witnessed when at the beginning of these two now famous cricketers careers, Bill Edrich (64) and Dennis Compton (53) flogged the Beddington bowling to all parts of the field and also out of it. Beddington could only reply with a tame draw at 108 for 8 wickets, the MCC final score being 230 all out. The second XI had meanwhile under the captaincy of K A Oswald carried on in the same efficient manner. It is quite certain through club records of this period, that during the years 1930-1940, the second XI was as strong as at any time during the existence of the club. This also applied to the 1950s and 1960s.


The 1936 season with Gilly Reay as captain for his third term of office was another success, with 18 wins, five defeats and five drawn games, also three abandoned games through rain. This is also the year that Albert Saw of Beddington died aged 72 years. Born in 1864 he lost an arm in an accident aged 11 years, was a sidesman at St Mary’s during Canon Bridges’ incumbency, played cricket in his youth for the Beddington Lane team, and umpired at Beddington CC for 50years. This being the year of another “Robbie” at Beddington in the shape of Jack Roberts the next long term umpire, and Sydney Cooper would be turning in his grave if we didn’t tell you that he scored 105 n.o. against Croydon and later 98 against Cyphers. The bowling honours went again to Reay and Adams, with 60 wickets apiece. Against the President’s XI during the “week”, Beddington declared at 280 for 7 wickets but our opponents did even better with 290 for only 4 wickets, and won easily. Percy Fender (65), D J Knight, (58) and G Sneerson (63) were the main scorers for the opponents.
This season saw the introduction to the club of two fine cricketers in Leslie Trent and Ernest Collins, and a few games in the second XI were sufficient to show their worth to the club, but alas, Leslie Trent was one of the gallant band of heroes who did not return after the Second World War. Later in the season some amends were made for the earlier presidential defeat, by an excellent victory over a strong MCC side. Beddington had declared at 259 for 7 wickets. (H T Seal 63), the MCC were dismissed for 214, with H T Seal taking 5 wickets for 74 runs, sealing the fate of the MCC. This was the year that Sydney Cooper played two matches for Surrey CCC, he took two catches and made three stumpings during his short stay, standing up at the wicket, to the dislike of Alf Gover.


By 1937 Gilly Reay had decided to relinquish the captaincy of the 1st XI and H T Seal was elected as his successor. A somewhat wet summer had the effect of keeping the scoring down, and with two matches abandoned through rain, 13 were won, nine lost, and five drawn. Leslie Trent headed the batting averages with an aggregate of 776 runs, gave him an average of 31. Leslie Trent hit the only Beddington century recorded during the season 103 n.o. against the Ibis Club and again Gilly Reay had the best bowling returns. The President’s XI produced a high scoring match with Beddington declaring at 243 for nine (Leslie Trent 81, R. Johnson 56), but our opponents scored 253 for eight, thanks to a fine innings of 80 runs by Jack Hobbs. During this season S H Cooper stumped 19 batsmen and took 19 catches behind the wicket. This year a tour of Sussex was held, with five wins and one defeat were recorded and Ernest Collins enjoyed himself with innings of 102, 54, 89, and 84 runs, while Hedley had an innings of 110 n.o. happy days.


The 1938 season saw 17 wins, 10 defeats and 7 drawn games. The first Sunday cricket match was played. H T Seal was again in charge and R E Johnson was in great form with the bat, and headed the averages with 116 against the President’s XI, 104 against Mitcham and other innings of 89, 78, 74, and 70. E. Collins also had a good season including scores of 101 n.o. and 124. E. Cowdrey, Colin Cowdrey’s father was also consistent with the bat. Gilly Reay was once more on top of the bowling averages with 72 wickets at the cost of 16 runs apiece. The President’s Day produced the customary close finish, after dismissing our opponents for 234 runs; the winning hit was made right on time. R E Johnson played a grand innings of 116 runs, including 5 sixes and 11 fours. He then followed with 104 against Mitcham; the matches against Mitcham over a period of many years invariably produced a keen game, with neither side being able to claim superiority, in the early days when fixtures were first arranged a note in the club records stated that “Beddington are now even strong enough to play against Mitcham. Sunday cricket which had been on the agenda for a number of years was eventually agreed upon for 1938, but it was decided to restrict it to half day games on Sunday.

1939 – 1945

The 1939 season, with H B Worthington now captain of the 1st XI, was carried on under the threat of war clouds which had been developing since the end of the previous season. The absence of score books prevents any detailed accounts of matches, but a programme of fixtures was carried out until the end of August. It was decided to continue playing during 1940, if circumstances permitted, but with so many members now in the forces the playing strength was very much depleted, and consisted of largely older members. Two valuable additions to the club however, came in the form of W A Cotton and H Pashley, both being splendid all-round cricketers. Little needs to be said of cricket during that year as it went on under difficult conditions, when air aid sirens became a frequent companion to the cricket. At the end of August conditions had become so violent that cricket was brought to an abrupt end, which continued until the end of the war. The future of cricket remained to be seen.

1946 team
1945 Wallington Home Guard XI with G Dolby (centre row second left), R Dolby (front row second left), A Dawes – the Wallington Grammar School master

We find George Dolby, a prominent player and committee member of the Beddington Club, playing for Wallington Home Guard against the Rescue Services. A Dawes bowled well for the Home Guard, taking 7 wickets for 13 runs. A splendid innings by G Dolby who was only 17 years of age, the feature of this return game in Beddington Park on Sunday. The Rescue Service batting first were all out for 4I runs. Dolby was stumped on 54, with A Dawes out to a good catch in the deep for 13 runs; saw off the runs for victory. A Dawes was a History master at Wallington Grammar School. Ron Dolby, the brother of George, also played in the Home Guard side and later became head boy and then geography master at the school. The Home Guard matches – where opponents also included works teams from the Hackbridge Cable and Mullard’s factories in Hackbridge – are the only records found at Beddington Park during the wartime period. The 60th Surrey Battalion Home Guard had their headquarters at Canon Bridges’ beautiful pavilion in Beddington Park from 1940 to 1945.


The decision to start up again in 1946, after five seasons of inactivity was reached by a few members who had been looking after the club’s interests since closure in 1940. They were however, rather in the dark as to the playing strength available, as many members were still scattered in all parts. The response was pleasing, as old members returned, and new members came along. In addition there was a big influx of honorary members, who wished to show their appreciation of the decision to restart. The Pavilion had been requisitioned in the early days of the war by the Defence Service, but had escaped any war damage. The club however suffered serious loss of equipment, as the sight screens apparently went to keep someone’s home fires burning, while all the deck chairs and the tea tables were “borrowed”. Still things could have been worse if the Germans had got them; it was a happy reunion for every member.
Sir Paul Mallinson, the son of our former President whose death during the war years had been a great blow to the club, was unanimously asked to fill the vacant office, which he accepted with great pleasure. Sir Paul, apart from taking his place in the President’s side against Beddington brings down strong teams during the cricket week, thus perpetuating the memory of Sir William Mallinson who had for many years been our President and a strong supporter of the club. An appreciation must be recorded here of the sympathetic co-operation of the Beddington and Wallington Corporation in the arrangement for continuation of cricket in the Park. In former days the cricket was carried out under almost private ground conditions, with very few spectators, it is very gratifying to the club the interest now taken by the residents in watching good class cricket and supporting their local club. The freedom of the public to enter the ground placed the club in a healthy position, which they hoped to maintain in the future. Players who re-joined the club in 1946 included Jack Gass, Sydney Cooper, A J Hill, R Johnson, Fred Prescott, David Gale, G Morris, E Collins, W Cotton, A V A Cummins, 3rd XI captain, and L A Gillman 4th XI captain. In 1946 a young Beddington Colt Ron Dolby age 15 years played in a match against Whitgift colts with Raman Subba Row the future Surrey and England player in their side.
A notable addition to the playing strength in 1946 was D K Gale who batted with a stamp of class, and it was evident that Beddington had found a valuable member, who was likely to occupy a prominent part in the club history for many years to come. David Gale had already put up some good bowling performances. Another acquisition to the bowling strength was F M Prescott of the Tank Corps, whose medium fast left arm deliveries had brought him a crop of wickets. The club were also pleased to welcome members and players from the war-time Wallington Wardens Club, which had been discontinued.
Mr S H Cooper was elected captain for 1946, and the side, Jack Gass, Ron Johnson, George Morris, Ernest Collins, W Cotton, David Gale, and Prescott, could usually hold their own with most of their opponents. The weather that season was very bad, in fact only one really fine day was experienced and that was on August Bank holiday. Fixtures were arranged for three games on Saturday and one on Sunday. One or two of the now older members, such as Gilly Reay and “Bully” Bulfield, had to admit to the march of time, but when the latter turned out on one occasion to complete the XI at the last moment, it stirred Gilly into action again and he made two appearances. It was however the end and so closed the playing career of one of the finest gentlemen a club could wish to have as a member and a friend. A club honours list at this stage would not have been possible as the list would have been endless. Let the club just remember the sacrifices made to achieve this position.


The 1947 season, in direct contrast to 1946, was a very fine weather season and of the thirty matches arranged thirteen were won, six were lost and ten drawn. Sydney Cooper, feeling that he could not concentrate on the important job of keeping wicket while acting as captain, asked to be relieved of the latter post, J K Gass was unanimously elected to the position, while A J Hills was again in charge of the second XI. Ernie Collins, who did not start playing until June headed the batting averages with 471 runs in 16 innings giving him an average of just under 32 runs being once n.o.. He was followed by W A Cotton with 428 runs in 17 innings, being three times not out; the highest aggregate was furnished by Sydney Cooper, who scored 613 runs in 25 innings closely followed by Bob White with an aggregate of 582 runs. Ernie Collins was the only member to score a century, in fact he hit up two. The bowling consisted of Bob White, Ron Johnson, Fred Prescott, and Dave Gale. R B White in his first season with the club proved a great acquisition. Turning to the 2nd XI a most successful season was enjoyed with 14 wins, five defeats and four drawn games. Hampson and Loader both scored centuries. Peter loader was described in the press as lean and hungry, and as fast as a whippet, he was only eighteen years of age at this time.


For the 1948 season, with J K Gass having decided to take things easy, R E Johnson was elected captain, this honour being well deserved after his long period of service to the club. Supported by W A Cotton as vice-captain, a strong 1st XI could be fielded, and a most successful season resulted, despite the weather. Of the 31 matches arranged, 17 were drawn (including three stopped by rain) four only lost, and one abandoned without any play at all. Beddington’s highest score during the season was 301 in the opening game against Kenley. Sydney Cooper, making a grand start to the season with 110 runs and W A Cotton 68 runs. Kenley could only muster 56 runs with F M Prescott taking 6 wickets for 26 runs and Cotton 4 wickets for seven runs. A surprise defeat by Purley who were dismissed for 110 runs, the Beddington batsmen failed completely, and was all out for 75 runs. Banstead were soundly beaten on Whit Monday only scoring 116 runs in reply to Beddington’s declaration of 232 for 8 wickets. Perhaps the feature of the day was the huge crowd of people attracted to the ground; over 1,000 people enjoying a gloriously fine weather day in the park. Another easy victory was gained in the next game against Wallington who were dismissed for 106 runs, David Gale having a remarkable bowling success, as after having ten runs scored of his first four overs, he finished off the innings by taking five wickets in the next two overs at the cost of four runs. His final analysis, six overs, two maidens and five wickets for 14 runs. Not content with this, he then hit up 81 runs out of the Beddington’s reply of 240 for seven wickets.
In the “Week” Beddington lost to Surrey C & G. A strong eleven, brought by H G Garland-Wells, were out for 170 runs, and Beddington ran up a score of 230 for seven wickets, a splendid innings of 106 runs made by R B White being the outstanding performance of the day. The third match against Stoics gave Beddington another easy victory. Beddington 256 for 7 wickets declared, Stoics were dismissed for 153 runs. The President’s XI was unfortunately abandoned due to rain. The season wound up with the customary keen game against Cyphers who scored 183 runs, which Beddington hit off for the loss of only four wickets at the close. This was chiefly due to S H Cooper stealing the limelight once again with a hard hitting 87 not out. Ron Hilder an experienced cricketer was welcomed into the club this season following a brilliant innings of 102 runs. The strength this year had been in the batting, top of the averages recorded W A Cotton 39.56, S H Cooper, 33.77, P Loader, 28.87, D K Gale 27.56, M Murray 26.66, R Hilder 20.72, R B White 20.60, R E Johnson 20,30. David Gale once again topping the bowling averages with 15.85., in addition the young P. Loader took 16 wickets at the cost of 16.56 runs. R Hilder was certainly an acquisition to the first XI in addition to his batting, he was found useful on more than one occasion in breaking up dangerous partnerships. P Loader coming into the first XI mid-way through the season, justified himself with forceful hitting, and would play a prominent part in the club’s history.
Mike Murray another young member of the side would give good service to the club in future years. The second XI had an equally good season with 12 wins, three defeats and five drawn games. A Anderson average of 46.3 runs and P Loader 41.2 runs per innings. The long term captain A J Hills, a physics master at Wallington Grammar school, set a good example with an average of 27.6 runs. H Scullard umpired the 2nd XI matches.
The third XI under the captaincy of A V A Cummins similarly enjoyed a most successful season, 14 wins, five defeats, and four drawn games. R Lambert, J Holman, H Wombill fared well with the bat. John Lyall was again called upon to bear the brunt of the bowling, and thoroughly enjoyed his cricket. Ray Talks, J Holman, R Graham all furnished good results, and special mention should be made to wicketkeeper L Giles, who secured 10 catches, and also kept down the score of the opposition by stopping deliveries which did not always follow the intended course.
The fourth XI also enjoyed a successful season captained by L E Gillman who was to be congratulated on the interest he displayed in the running of the fourth XI, watching over the younger members of the club who found their way into higher elevens in the course of time. A new young member this season was G. Burnand, who played many times for several lower elevens, members suggested that he was probably the fastest bowlers in the club at that time, and with suitable coaching he should become a valuable member of the club. Harold Scullard, who later umpired the first XI, topped the fourth XI batting averages this year. From 1948 – 1954 the Ist XI was captained by Ron Johnson broken only by Ron Hilder in 1953. The 2nd XI during this time had been captained by A J Hills from 1946-1951, followed by the long serving Alan De Rosa 1952-1962.
Now that the 1948 season has closed, opportunity is taken here to mention that our old friends Carshalton Football Club are again playing on the back ground during the winter months. The club are members of the Southern Amateur League, and turn out five elevens each week. At least four members of the cricket club are prominent players in the club first XI (W Cotton A Hill G Burnand and G Dolby), while other cricketers assist their lower elevens. The fixture mentioned in 1904 between the two clubs is now an annual event on Boxing Day, and is reciprocated in the form of a cricket match during the summer. On the front ground Wallington Hockey Club uses the two pitches, and is gradually restoring their pre-war strength. Thus the two grounds are fully occupied during the whole of the year, with Wallington Manor making use of one pitch for mid-week games in the summer months, the ground being maintained by the ever faithful service of Peter Coates.
In conclusion, it is only right to make mention of services rendered by our old friend, W H Kippen, who has for so long voluntarily undertaken the post of first XI scorer and has rarely missed a match since he started in 1930. Beddington were also fortunate in having the services of Jack” Robbie” Roberts as Ist XI umpire his work carried out in a very efficient manner, not always to the liking of some members. We would like at this time in our history to thank “Bully” Bulfield for his time and energy spent in producing this knowledgeable history of the Beddington Cricket Club in 1949, without which we would not have been able to continue this history. “Bully” Bulfield was playing in the Beddington 1st XI in 1920 with Gilly Reay. He also hoped that somebody would continue with the history in future. In these notes of cricket since the war no reference has been made to Sunday cricket. Some of the members who play regularly on Saturday do not play on Sunday, but some play in most of the Sunday games which is very necessary in order to maintain the strength required, to provide entertaining cricket. There was always a large attendance of spectators to watch good cricket on fine summer days on our beautiful ground, hard work for our volunteer tea ladies.

1949 team wallington manor
Wallington Manor CC at Beddington 1949 with M Garner’s father as wicketkeeper




In 1949 Ron Johnson was still in charge of the first team, new blood was required and it came in the shape of Mike Murray and David Gale. At the start of the season at the Oval, David Gale had scored 58 runs for Surrey 2nd XI against Gloucester 2nd XI and had accepted a further invitation to play at Sittingbourne against Kent 2nd XI in a two day match there next week. Mike Murray on the other hand was doing his two years national service; he played for the R A F in 1950 and opened the batting for the Combined Services during this time.

Tony Brown
Beddington’s Tony Brown at Spencer

In May 1949 Beddington CC just failed in a race against time to defeat Spencer. E J Caeser the Spencer opening batsman played magnificently for 154 runs and was still at the crease when a somewhat late declaration was made. The Beddington openers of Murray 51 runs, and Collins 62 runs gave Beddington the start they needed, but it was the fine performance by the whole team, bringing them within one run of victory. Spencer 254 for 6 declared with Beddington in far less time 253 for 7 wickets. A footnote from this week: Five teams from Cheam CC lost to Lensbury CC. a total eclipse. In June Beddington forced a narrow victory at Beddington Park against Wallington who were bowled out for 154 runs (Prescott 4 for 35 all clean bowled) Beddington were soon in trouble losing 4 wickets for 54 runs, before R Hilder with 46 runs, joined M Murray 50 runs, carried the home side within sight of victory, before R. Johnson came in and scored the winning runs by hitting a six. Beddington 162 for 9 at the end of play. In August three out of four Beddington teams beat Cheam. Success was achieved by the Beddington fast bowlers with D Halfyard taking five wickets, Fred Prescott taking four, and D Gale finishing off the remainder for 150 runs. Beddington 1st XI in reply lost the first three wickets for 22 runs, but Gale (56 runs) and Cotton (70 runs) turned the game around and at 158 for 4 wickets were victors by 6 wickets. Beddington 2nd XI beat Cheam by 9 wickets (Ray Smith 7 for 28) Beddington 3rd XI ended in a draw and Beddington 4th XI skippered by Bill Brown, winning by 55 runs, with G Funnell 58 n.o.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s